April 3, 2005
IRVINE, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team lost to host and 74th-ranked UC Irvine 4-0 in the championship match of the eighth annual UCI Spring Invitational, held Sunday afternoon at Anteater Tennis Stadium. Matches in progress were suspended once the doubles point and team victory were clinched. Santa Clara is now 10-5 on the season.
"The match score wasn't indicative of how competitive this match was," head coach Damon Coupe said. "It was an epic battle; this is why you love women's college tennis. Our team fought the entire time and I'm very proud of the way we represented our program on the courts."
Santa Clara returns to West Coast Conference play against rival Saint Mary's on Wednesday, April 6 in Moraga before returning home to the Degheri Tennis Center to host San Francisco on April 8.
1. Bentzer/Agababian (UCI) vs. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) DNF
2. Mijic/Broadfoot (UCI) def. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) 8-6
3. Hu/Lisa Shih (UCI) def. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) 8-2
1. Anna Bentzer (UCI) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) vs. Izabela Mijic (UCI) 6-7, 6-2, 4-1, DNF
3. Hui Leow (UCI) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) vs. Inna Agababian (UCI) 0-6, 6-1, 6-5, DNF
5. Jayme Hu (UCI) def. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) vs. Jessica Broadfoot (UCI) 2, 6, 5-2 DNF