April 23, 2005
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis program won its 15th match of the season with a 6-0 victory over Gonzaga in the consolation semifinal of the West Coast Conference Championship, hosted by the University of San Diego at the West Tennis Courts. The Broncos (15-7) will play on Sunday morning for fifth place.
Due to rainy weather forecasted for the area, singles was played first. After Friday's tough loss to Saint Mary's the Broncos bounced back today by winning five of six contests in straight sets. Head coach Damon Coupe said he told his squad that yesterday's match was tough to swallow, but the team's had a great year and they have an opportunity to win two more matches and go out on a winning note.
"It took awhile to let that loss go, but by the end of the day, we checked in with each other and we were ready to go with our confidence today," he added. "One of the great things about this team is how we've responded to adversity all year. It's always been a team effort to get the job done."
The tournament concludes on Sunday with the final rounds of play. Santa Clara's fifth-place contest will take place at 10:30 a.m. against Portland or San Francisco.
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Angela Fry (GON) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Amanda Becker (GON) 6-4, 6-1
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Kendall Bates (GON) 6-2, 6-4
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Sirrah Williams (GON) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GON) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Erin Humphrey (GON) 7-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) vs. Fry/Williams (GON) DNP
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) vs. Bates/Becker (GON) DNP
3. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) vs. Humphrey/Lederhouse (GON) DNP