Feb. 10, 2006
Pullman, Wash. - Competing with a shorthanded squad this afternoon, the Santa Clara women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to host Washington State. With only five available players for the dual match, the Broncos were unable to overcome the loss of regular starters Casey Knutson and Samantha Georgino to pull off a victory in Pullman, Wash. over their Pac-10 rivals.
"I'm proud of the girls for the way they fought only, having five healthy players. The girls just went out there and fought really hard and that's all we can ask for. I'm proud of them and hopefully we'll get healthy soon," said head coach Damon Coupe.
In doubles action, the Broncos were only able to field two squads and the Cougars were able to come out with victories in both matches to claim the doubles point. On Court 1, Erika Barnes and Kelly Leathers dropped an 8-3 decision to Ekaterina Burduli and Maria Ring, while Myra Davoudi and Stephanie Galainena were defeated by Aleksandra Stefanova and Amy Toth 8-2 at the No. 2 position.
Washington State took advantage of Santa Clara's depleted squad during the singles competition, as all five matches were taken in straight sets. At the No. 1 position, Leathers was beaten by Burduli 6-0, 6-1, while on Court 2, Galainena fell to Toth 6-3, 6-3. At the No. 3 spot, Barnes lost to Marjolein van de Ven 6-1, 6-1 and Maria Ring took care of Myra Davoudi at the No. 4 position by a score of 6-0, 6-1. On Court 5, Bianca Selaru completed the sweep with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Stephanie Herrmann.
SantaClara drops its record to 3-5 on the year, and returns to action at the Degheri Tennis Center on Friday, February 17. Game time is set for 1 p.m.
Washington State 7, Santa Clara 0
Doubles (Washington State wins the doubles point)
1. Ekaterina Burduli/Maria Ring (WSU) def. Erika Barnes/Kelly Leathers (SCU), 8-3
2. Aleksandra Stefanova/Amy Toth (WSU) def. Myra Davoudi/Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 8-2
3. Washington State wins by default
1. Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Amy Toth (WSU) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Marjolein van de Ven (WSU) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Maria Ring (WSU) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Bianca Selaru (WSU) def. Stephanie Herrmann (SCU), 6-3, 6-0
6. Washington State wins by default