Feb. 19, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to West Coast Conference rival and No. 75 Saint Mary's this afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. Erika Barnes and Stephanie Herrmann in doubles and Myra Davoudi in singles were the only Bronco winners today against the nationally-ranked Gaels.
In doubles action, Saint Mary's took the first point of the match after securing victories on Courts No. 1 and No. 2, though Barnes and Herrmann prevented the sweep with their 8-7 victory over Stef Ordoveza and Erin Young at the No. 3 position.
Saint Mary's continued to play well in singles, taking the three singles matches in straight sets, though Stephanie Galainena and Herrmann pushed their opponents to three sets in defeat. Davoudi got Santa Clara on the board with her 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 triumph over Kristin Kummer at the No. 5 spot.
Santa Clara drops its record to 3-6 on the year and returns to action tomorrow against WCC foe San Francisco at the Degheri Tennis Center. Game time is set for 11 a.m.
Saint Mary's 6, Santa Clara 1
Doubles (Saint Mary's wins the doubles point)
1. Jessica Hoath/Aude Lambert (SMC) def. Casey Knutson/Kelly Leathers (SCU), 8-4
2. Kate Harden/Kristin Kummer (SMC) def. Myra Davoudi/Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 8-5
3. Erika Barnes/Stephanie Herrmann (SCU) def. Stef Ordoveza/Erin Young (SMC), 8-7
1. Aude Lambert (SMC) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jessica Hoath (SMC) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Kate Harden (SMC) def. Casey Knutson (SCU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Erin Young (SMC) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Myra Davoudi (SCU) def. Kristin Kummer (SMC), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
6. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) def. Stephanie Herrmann (SCU(, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0