Feb. 25, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - The University of Pacific entered today's tennis match with Santa Clara carrying some momentum, as it had won it's last three out of four matches, and although it picked up it's seventh win of the season, it didn't come without a fight. The Broncos fought hard and did not let the Tiger's national ranking of No. 68 intimidate them out on the court and their tenacity and never-give-up attitude impressed head coach Damon Coupe.
"Even though we aren't winning these matches, the girls keep fighting. We are doing a great job of competing," declared Coupe after Santa Clara lost 6-1 at the Degheri Tennis Center. "The team still goes out hard and I'm so proud of how they are playing and responding to the adversity that we have faced thus far in the season."
In doubles, Santa Clara won at the No. 3 spot after Erika Barnes and Stephanie Herrmann downed Helen Schneider and Clara Schumacher 8-2. However, Pacific went up 1-0 after gaining victories on Courts 1 and 2. Vana Mrazovic and Jolanta Twarowska defeated Casey Knutson and Kelly Leathers 8-6 and Natalia Kostenko and Carla Tamborini took out Myra Davoudi and Stephanie Galainena 8-4.
Although the Tigers took five of the six singles contests, the Broncos took two of the matches to three sets and they all were played at a competitive level. Barnes pushed Tamborini at the No. 4 position, losing 1-6, 7-5, 1-0, while Myra Davoudi was unable to overcome Schumacher on Court 5, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0. Knutson was the only point scorer for the home team, as she handled Twarowska 6-3, 7-6 at the No. 3 spot.
Santa Clara drops its record to 4-8 on the year and returns to action on March 9 with a match against Bay Area rival San Jose State, as a part of the Rivalry Series. Currently, the Broncos lead the Spartans 16-4. Game time is set for 2 p.m.
No. 68 Pacific 6, Santa Clara 1
Doubles (Pacific wins the doubles point)
1. Vana Mrazovic/Jolanta Twarowska (UOP) def. Casey Knutson/Kelly Leathers (SCU), 8-6
2. Natalia Kostenko/Carla Tamborini (UOP) def. Myra Davoudi/Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 8-4
3. Erika Barnes/Stephanie Herrmann (SCU) def. Helen Schneider/Clara Schumacher (UOP), 8-2
1. Vana Mrazovic (UOP) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Natalia Kostenko (UOP) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Jolanta Twarowska (UOP), 6-3, 7-6
4. Carla Tamborini (UOP) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 1-6, 7-5, 1-0
5. Clara Schumacher (UOP) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0
6. Helen Schneider (UOP) def. Stephanie Herrmann (SCU), 6-4, 6-2