Santa Clara Women's Tennis Loses Road Match To UC Davis 5-2
Feb. 13, 2007
DAVIS, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team dropped a road match at UC Davis 5-2 on Tuesday afternoon. Casey Knutson won her singles match and combined with Erika Barnes to capture a win in doubles also. For the second straight dual match, Kim Daniel won her singles match to continue her climb up the all-time wins list at SCU.
In doubles, after a loss by Daniel and Stephanie Galainena at No. 3, Myra Davoudi and Lindsay McBride battled hard but fell 8-6 to Robin Guier and Desiree Stone at No. 2. Those two losses gave Davis the doubles point. In the third match Knutson and Barnes continued their excellent play in doubles, defeating Jenna Kappel and Herzyl Legaspi 8-6.
"Casey and Erika played very well today," said head coach Ben Cabell. "They took on a very strong team and got a good win. I look forward to seeing them get even better as they play more matches together."
Following the doubles matches, Davis took a 2-0 lead in the match behind Desiree Stone, who beat SCU's Myra Davoudi at No. 2. Daniel brought the Broncos back with a dominating 6-1, 6-3 win over Emma Shapiro at No. 6, making it 2-1 overall. However, the Aggies recovered to win at No. 5 and No. 3 to clinch the match. Knutson did pull out a three-setter against Robin Guier at No. 1, but her effort was not enough for the Broncos. Both Daniel and Knutson now have 43 career singles wins, good for ninth all-time.
"You have to give Davis credit," said Cabell. "They played very well at some positions where we are pretty strong. We had some chances in a number of matches, but we need to be a little more focused to get those wins. We are looking forward to coming home this weekend and playing our first matches at Santa Clara."
The Broncos take on West Coast Conference opponents, Gonzaga and Saint Mary's on Saturday, Feb. 17 and Sunday, Feb. 18 respectively. The match against Gonzaga begins at 10:00 a.m., while the match against Saint Mary's starts at 11:00 a.m.
UC Davis 5 - Santa Clara 2
Doubles: (Order of finish 3, 2, 1)
1. SCU Casey Knutson/Erika Barnes def. UCD Jenna Kappel/Herzyl Legaspi 8-6
2. UCD Robin Guier/Desiree Stone def. SCU Myra Davoudi/Lindsay McBride 8-6
3. UCD Anita Athavale/Emma Shapiro def. Kim Daniel/Stephanie Galainena 8-3
Singles: (Order of finish 2, 6, 5, 3, 1, 4)
1. SCU Casey Knutson def. UCD Robin Guier 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
2. UCD Desiree Stone def. SCU Myra Davoudi 6-0, 6-1
3. UCD Herzyl Legaspi def. SCU Lindsay McBride 6-2, 6-1
4. UCD Jenna Kappel def. SCU Erika Barnes 6-4, 7-5
5. UCD Andrea Phillips def. SCU Stephanie Galainena 6-2, 6-4
6. SCU Kim Daniel def. UCD Emma Shapiro 6-1, 6-3