Santa Clara Women's Tennis Drops Tough One 5-1 To Loyola Marymount
March 7, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara University women's tennis team had its two-game winning streak snapped Wednesday at the Degheri Tennis Center, losing 5-1 to Loyola Marymount University. LMU took the doubles point and won the first three singles matches to clinch the victory despite a tough battle in a number of singles matches. Erika Barnes picked up the Broncos lone victory at No. 5 singles.
The Broncos came up short in doubles despite a big victory at No. 3 by Kim Daniel and Myra Davoudi. The pair grabbed an 8-4 victory to put them at 3-2 for the dual season in doubles. Barnes and Casey Knutson put up a good battle at No. 1, but fell 8-4 to Robyn Baker and Pavla Mesterova.
LMU got started quickly in singles with Mesterova defeating Davoudi 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1. Audre Bulkley and Tamara Tanner then defeated Stephanie Galainena and Lindsay McBride at No. 6 and No. 3 respectively to claim the dual match win.
The final three matches of the day were all hotly contested. At No. 2, Casey Knutson fell behind a set to Robyn Baker, but rallied with a 6-2 win in the second set to force a third set. Knutson's comeback fell short, however, in the final set as she lost 6-4.
Barnes and Daniel also lost first sets, but came back to claim the second set. Barnes completed her comeback with a clutch 10-8 win in the supertiebreaker to give the Broncos their only win of the day. Daniel and Serena Fermin played to 5-5 in the second set before the match was called due to poor weather.
"Today's match was close all the way," said head coach Ben Cabell. "We had good comebacks by Casey, Erika and Kim and I am proud of their effort. We almost pulled it out even thought the scoreboard does not indicate that. With a few adjustments, we know we can compete even better with teams like Loyola Marymount."
The Broncos play their next match on Friday, March 16 at home against Montana at 3:00 p.m. PT.
Loyola Marymount def. Santa Clara 5-1
1. LMU Robyn Bake/Pavla Mesterova def. SCU Erika Barnes/Casey Knutson 8-4
2. LMU Tamara Tanner/Serena Fermin def. SCU Stephanie Galainena/Lindsay McBride 8-2
3. SCU Kim Daniel/Myra Davoudi def. LMU Elrien de Villiers/Bliss Nixon 8-4
1. LMU Pavla Mesterova def. SCU Myra Davoudi 6-0, 6-0
2. LMU Robyn Baker def. SCU Casey Knutson 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. LMU Tamara Tanner def. SCU Lindsay McBride 6-4, 6-3
4. SCU Kim Daniel and LMU Serena Fermin 1-6, 6-4, 5-5, DNF
5. SCU Erika Barnes def. LMU Elrien de Villiers 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
6. LMU Audrey Bulkley def. SCU Stephanie Galainena 6-3, 6-4