April 5, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara Bronco women's tennis team fell 6-1 on Thursday morning against No. 41 Washington State at the Degheri Tennis Center. Casey Knutson earned the Broncos lone point with a win over Amy Toth at No. 2 singles and she also teamed with Erika Barnes to win at No. 1 doubles over Ekaterina Burduli and Marjolein van de Ven.
In doubles, the Broncos fell in both the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to lose the doubles point. However, Knutson and Barnes continued to impress at No. 1 doubles, defeating Burduli and van de Ven in a tiebreaker 8-7 (7-3). The win was the ninth of the dual match season for the pair.
The Broncos could not keep pace in singles, losing four two-set matches. Stephanie Galainena pushed Anastesia Opata hard at No. 6 before falling 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5).
Knutson continued her strong play with a win at No. 2. After toughing out a first-set tiebreaker, Knutson breezed to a 6-0 win in the second set to get the Broncos on the scoreboard.
Santa Clara travels to Texas to play Texas-Arlington on April 6 and Southern Methodist on April 7. The Broncos are now 5-8 on the season.
No. 41 Washington State 6 Santa Clara 1
1. Barnes/Knutson (SCU) def. Burduli/van de Ven (WSU), 8-7 (7-3)
2. Opata/Toth (WSU) def. Galainena/McBride (SCU), 8-2
3. Stefanova/Cekic (WSU) def. Daniel/Davoudi (SCU), 8-3
1. Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Amy Toth (WSU), 7-6, 6-0
3. Marjolein van de Ven (WSU) def. Kim Daniel (SCU), 7-5, 6-2
4. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) def. Lindsay McBride (SCU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Anastesia Opata (WSU) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)