Feb. 25, 2010
The Santa Clara women's tennis team ended their five match winning streak yesterday with a 6-1 loss to Hawai'i. The Broncos move to 5-2 for the season and 2-1 in West Coast conference play, while the Wahines improve to 2-9.
Hawai'i also ended Santa Clara's unbeaten streak in doubles play, taking the first two matches to secure the doubles point. Freshmen duo Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge took the final doubles match against Natasha Zorec and Aglae Van den Bergh, 8-4.
It was a rough day for the Broncos in singles play as well, dropping all but one of their matches during the day.
McGeorge was the lone bright spot for Santa Clara, defeating Natasha Zorec, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 4 singles position. McGeorge has yet to lose a singles match this season.
"We had a lot of close matches yesterday, so it was a tough loss for us," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "We all agreed that we had a bad day, so we're going to take the loss as a learning experience and use it to prepare for Saint Mary's on Sunday. They're a big rival for us so it should be a good match for us."
First serve against Saint Mary's is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. Check back with SantaClaraBroncos.com for updates.
Santa Clara vs. Hawai'i Doubles Results
1) Sophie Kobuch/Katrina Poljakova (HI) def. Alex Zaniewski/Jessica Agra 8-2
2) Barbara Pinterova/Alyssa Nafarrete (HI) def. Carmen Pham/Kimmi Cox 8-6
3) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Natasha Zorec/Aglae Van den Bergh 8-4
Santa Clara vs. Hawai'i Singles Results
1) Sophie Kobuch (HI) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 7-5, 6-3
2) Barbara Pinterova (HI) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
3) Katarina Poljakova (HI) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-7 (1), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
4) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Natasha Zorec (HI) 6-1, 6-3
5) Alyssa Nafarrete (HI) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
6) Aglae Van de Bergh (HI) def. Carmen Pham (SCU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4