Santa Clara Tennis Falls in Close Match to Idaho
April 3, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team saw their seven match winning streak come to an end yesterday after a close 4-3 loss to Idaho. The Broncos are now 12-3 overall and 3-2 in the West Coast Conference.
It was a close battle for the doubles point between the Broncos and the Vandals. Sophomore duo Kacie Wagner and Kimmi Cox fell to Gabriela Niculescu and Maria Prervoshchikova 8-4 at the No. 1 doubles spot. Although freshmen duo Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge were able to pick up a win at the No. 2 doubles position, freshman Jessica Agra and Carmen Pham were unable to pull of the doubles point, falling to Idaho's Alexandra Ulesanu and Barbara Maciocha in a close 9-7 match.
In singles play,sophomore Kacie Wagner defeated Irimescu in a close 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 battle at the No. 3 singles position. Agra and Pham also picked up singles wins but unfortunately the Vandals' double point put them over the edge for the overall 4-3 win.
Next up for the Broncos is local rival San Jose State on Tuesday, April 6. First serve is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
Santa Clara vs. Idaho Doubles Results
1) Niculescu/Perevoshchikova (UI) def. Cox/Wagner (SCU) 8-4
2) Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Irimescu/Ly (UI) 8-2
3) Maciocha/Ulesanu (UI) def. Agra/Pham (SCU) 9-7
Santa Clara vs. Idaho Singles Results
1) Gabriela Niculescu (UI) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 3-6,6-4,6-0
2) Maria Perevoshchikova (UI) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 7-6,6-2
3) Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI) 6-3,3-6,7-6
4) Alexandra Ulesanu (UI) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 6-2,6-4
5) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Barbara Maciocha (UI) 6-4,6-2
6) Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Yvette Ly (UI) 6-4,7-5