April 10, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- The Santa Clara women's tennis team fell to Cal Poly in a 6-1 loss at San Luis Obispo. The Broncos move to 13-5 on the season and are 3-2 in West Coast Conference play.
Santa Clara fell in the first two doubles matches of the day to give the doubles point to Cal Poly. Although the Broncos lost the doubles point in the first two matches, freshmen duo Maggie McGeorge and Kelly Lamble were able to pull off one win at the No. 3 doubles position, defeating Ashley Pane and Diane Filip, 8-5. With today's win, McGeorge and Lamble have won eight doubles matches in a row.
Sophomore captain Kacie Wagner was the lone victor in singles play for Santa Clara, defeating Steffi Wong 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 3 spot.
"Today was a tough match, Cal Poly is a very experienced team," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "They have a lot of seniors and we're still very young, but it was a good experience for our team today."
Pending the weather, the Broncos will face UC Davis tomorrow morning at 11:00 a.m. at Degheri Tennis Center. Be sure to check back with SantaClaraBroncos.com for updates.
Santa Clara vs. Cal Poly Doubles Results
1. No. 26 Blalock/Matzenauer (CP) def. Wagner/Cox (SCU), 8-1
2. Wong/Lee (CP) def. Pham/Agra (SCU), 8-2
3. McGeorge/Lamble (SCU) def. Filip/Pane (CP), 8-5
Santa Clara vs. Cal Poly Singles Results
1. No. 85 Suzie Matzenauer (CP) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU), 7-5, 6-4
2. No. 86 Brittany Blalock (CP) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Steffi Wong (CP), 6-4, 6-4
4. Diane Filip (CP) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Jessica Agra (SCU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Kimmi Cox (SCU), 6-1, 6-1