Written by Chelsea Flintoft '14
Santa Clara, Calif.—After a tough loss against No. 7 California last Wednesday, the Bronco's women's tennis team picked up two solid victories over the weekend. No. 71 Santa Clara (2-1) swept San Jose State (1-1) on Friday 7-0 and pulled out a tough match against Oregon (2-1) 4-3 on Saturday.
"Oregon was a big match for us," said head coach Ben Cabell. "We knew that competing against a Pac-12 team would definitely help us improve our ranking, and so we put a lot of focus into this match and the girls played great."
No. 37 Katie Le, Alexandra Zaniewski, and Kacie Wagner at the No. 1, 2 and 4 positions won key singles matches against Oregon, which left it down to the doubles matches to decide the end result. The Broncos swept Oregon in very challenging doubles matches, giving Santa Clara the extra point to win the series 4-3.
"Doubles playing was key during the Oregon match. Thankfully the girls are very confident with their doubles skills, and it turned out to be the deciding factor that gave us the win," said Cabell.
Cabell also commented on Kacie Wagner's showing on Saturday saying, "Kacie had a great day against Oregon. As our senior captain, she was the standout today." Wagner defeated Pascale Neubert of Oregon 5-7, 6-1, 6-4 in singles and won her doubles match at the No. 1 position with Le against Patricia Skowronski and Sofia Hager.
The Bronco's only dropped one doubles match against San Jose State on Friday and swept all the singles matches. The women now have a week of practice to prepare for their match on Sat., Feb. 4th against the University of the Pacific at 12:00 p.m.
"The girls are confident and our experience showed on Friday," said Cabell. "After coming off of two strong victories this weekend, we will focus on practicing doubles this week to prepare for our match this Saturday. It's something we can always get better at and helps us get into match shape while practicing playing big points."
SCU vs. SJSU Singles
1) No. 37 Katie Le (SCU) def. Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) 6-2, 6-1
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) 6-4, 6-0
3) Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) 6-2, 6-4
4) Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Isadora Busch (SJSU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-6
5) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Jessica Willett (SJSU) 6-4, 6-0
6) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Sandra Florea (SJSU) 6-2, 6-0
SCU vs. SJSU Doubles
1) Le/Agra (SCU) def. Truong/Medlin (SJSU) 8-4
2) Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Chao/Busch (SJSU) 8-5
3) Willett/Florea (SJSU) def. Zaniewski/Wagner (SCU) 7-6 (5)
SCU vs. Oregon Singles
1) No. 37 Katie Le (SCU) def. Patricia Skowronski (UO) 6-2, 6-1
2) Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) def. Julia Metzger (UO) 7-6 (2), 7-5
3) Sofia Hager (UO) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
4) Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Pascale Neubert (UO) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
5) Trudie du Toit (UO) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
6) Haley Driver (UO) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 7-6, 6-3
SCU vs. Oregon Doubles
1) Le/Wagner (SCU) def. Hager/Skowronski (UO) 8-5
2) Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. du Toit/Metzger (UO) 9-8 (7)
3) Zaniewski/Agra (SCU) def. Driver/Neubert (UO) 8-6