Women's Tennis Sweeps No. 65 UC Santa Barbara
Santa Clara, Calif.— After defeating No. 68 UC Davis, 4-3, on Saturday, the Santa Clara women's tennis team was back at the Degheri Tennis Center on Monday where the Broncos sweep No. 65 UC Santa Barbara, 7-0. The women are now 6-2.
"This weekend gave us two big victories. By defeating two higher ranked teams, it shows that we are pulling away from the other ranked California schools and establishing ourselves," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell.
The Bronco's next match is against WCC competitor and Bay Area rival, University of San Francisco, on Friday, March 2nd at 1:00 p.m. in the Degheri Tennis Center. The women hope to take the momentum from the weekend's two solid wins and put it towards focusing on their first conference match in two weeks.
"The success over UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara sets us up well against conference opponents," said Cabell. "I am really proud of the team for coming out on top during these two tough matches. It really shows their experience and maturity. Everyone, including myself, is excited that we are 6-2 right now, and we are ready to put our WCC competitors to the test."
Off for a couple weeks from competition, Cabell says the team will work on individual skills during this period. "Our doubles teams are continuing to play well. In the singles, we are seeing several different individuals stepping up and this really shows that our success comes as a team effort. And that is a big part of what we do," said Cabell.
Santa Clara vs. No. 63 UC Santa Barbara (SINGLES)
1) No. 39 Katie Le (SCU) def. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1
2) Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 7-6 (2), 6-3
3) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
4) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5) Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
6) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Erica Cano (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
1) Meehan/Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Le/Agra (SCU) 8-6
2) Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Scatliffe/Lozano (UCSB) 8-5
3) Zaniewski/Wagner (SCU) def. Cano/Reede (UCSB) 8-1