Women's Tennis Falls to No. 6 Stanford 7-0
Santa Clara, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team was handed its first 7-0 loss of the 2012 season this morning by the No. 6 Stanford Cardinal. The Bronco women look forward to finishing off the season against the remaining four WCC opponents before the WCC Championships in San Diego, Calif. at the end of April.
It was a tough day for Santa Clara (8-8, 2-2 WCC) on the Taube Family Tennis courts in Palo Alto, Calif. In the singles matches, No. 38 Katie Le battled hard against No. 3 Nicole Gibbs but came up short 6-2, 6-4. This is Le's third loss of the season—her last loss dating back to February 11. Freshman, Charlotte Newell put up a good showing against Cardinal Amelia Herring when she almost edged her out in the first set, falling 7-5, 6-0.
No. 6 Stanford (15-0, 6-0 Pac-12) showed their superiority with its two-ranked duo teams in the doubles matches, sweeping all three.
Santa Clara travels to San Diego, Calif. on Friday, April 13 when they take on WCC opponent University of San Diego.
Santa Clara vs. Stanford (SINGLES)
1) No. 3 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. No. 38 Katie Le (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
2) No. 4 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
3) No. 59 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Kacie Wagner (SCU) 6-1, 6-4
4) Veronica Li (STAN) def. Jessica Agra (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
5) Natalie Dillon (STAN) def. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
6) Amelia Herring (STAN) def. Charlotte Newell (SCU) 7-5, 6-0
1) No. 3 Burdette/Gibbs (STAN) def. Le/Agra (SCU) 8-1
2) No. 43 Tsay/ Tan (STAN) def. Lamble/Wagner (SCU) 8-1
3) Li/Dillon (STAN) def. Skaras/Warly (SCU) 8-3