Santa Clara, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team picked up a solid 7-0 victory on Sat., Jan. 26th vs. UC Santa Cruz to kick off the 2013 regular season at home. The Broncos (1-0) now look forward to next weekend as they travel to Davis, Calif. to compete against UC Davis on Superbowl Sunday—Feb. 3rd at 12:00 p.m.
"We started off with doubles today feeling a little jittery but ended up playing well," said head coach Ben Cabell. "As we got back into playing competitive matches, we let the two new freshmen play in the singles matches. They did a great job in their first collegiate matches and were able to gain confidence and experience."
In singles, freshman Dephine Rouvillious picked up her first win as a Bronco against Arianna Mokhtari in a tough three-set match. At the No. 1 spot for Santa Clara, Rouvillious dropped the first set 2-6 but battled back in the second, coming out on top in a tie breaker by a score of 7-6(6). In the third set, the two players together played 22 games combined. The match finally ended with a Bronco victory 12-10 in the third.
Sophomore Stephanie Skaras also battled through three sets today against Laura Wade by a score of 6-3, 6-7(5), 10-2.
Senior Maggie McGeorge defeated No. 34 Alexandra Scotten at the second position in straight sets 6-1, 6-1. Scotten is ranked individually by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association in Division III at No. 34.
The Broncos swept all three doubles matches at the Degheri Tennis Center. Partners Katie Le and Jessica Agra defeated No. 8 duo Alexandra Scotten and Laura Wade by a score of 8-4. Seniors Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge also were victorious over Katy Collins and Arianna Mokhtari 8-1.
"This week in practice we will prepare for UC Davis and work on solidifying a solid third doubles team," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell.
Santa Clara 7, UC Santa Cruz 0
1) Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) def. Arianna Mokhtari (UCSC) 2-6, 7-6(6), 12-10
2) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. No. 34 Alexandra Scotten (UCSC) 6-1, 6-1
3) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Laura Wade (UCSC) 6-3, 6-7(5), 10-2
4) Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Courntey Lymburner (UCSC) 6-0, 6-0
5) Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Katy Collins (UCSC) 6-1, 6-2
6) Nicollete Wolny (SCU) def. Suzanne Lipscomb (UCSC) 6-0, 6-0
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. No. 8 Alexandra Scotten/Laura Wade (UCSC) 8-4
2) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Katy Collins/Arianna Mokhtari (UCSC) 8-1
3) Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) def. Courntey Lymburner/Monika Prokes (UCSC) 8-4