Women's Tennis Drops First Match of the 2013 Dual Season; Hosts No. 56 Fresno Tomorrow
SANTA CLARA, Calif.—Despite taking the doubles point, the Santa Clara women's tennis team could not seize the singles matches from San Jose State Saturday. The Broncos fell 4-3 to the Spartans, dropping their first home match of the 2013 season. No. 56 Fresno State travels to the Mission Campus Sun., Feb. 10 to take on the Broncos at 11 a.m. in the Degheri Tennis Center.
The win gave San Jose State (5-2) its first women's tennis victory over Santa Clara (2-1) in 15 matches dating back to 1998.
"Today was a disappointing loss. San Jose is a good team, but we had a lot of chances to win," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "I told the girls to keep challenging themselves and not get discouraged. We will bounce back and be ready to go Sunday."
In doubles, the No. 1 duo for Santa Clara, Katie Le and Jessica Agra topped Erica Medlin and Sabastiani Leon Chao of San Jose State 8-3. To capture the doubles point, Stephanie Skaras and Delphine Rouvillois tallied their third straight win as a duo this season at the No. 3 spot by defeating Jessica Willett and Julianna Bacelar 8-6.
In singles, Santa Clara's two wins came from senior Kelly Lamble and Skaras. Lamble battled through a tough three-set match after dropping the first set. She swept Chau Truong in the final two sets, ending the match 1-6, 6-0, 6-2. Skaras tallied her 11th win of the season by coming from behind in the first set to defeat Erica Medlin 7-5, 6-4.
No. 26 Katie Le added her second loss of the 2013 dual season to Klaudia Boczova in a third set tiebreaker. After falling in the first set 6-2, Le battled through two difficult sets. Le won the second 7-5 and went 6-6 in the third. The final set was decided by a tiebreaker that ended in Boczova's favor 7-1.
Sunday the No. 56 Fresno State Bulldogs visit the Mission Campus after a 7-0 loss against No. 4 USC on Feb. 2. Last year in Fresno, Calif., the No. 51 Broncos fell just short to the Bulldogs by a score of 4-3. On Feb. 1, Fresno knocked off WCC opponent No. 33 Pepperdine Waves, 4-3 in San Diego, Calif.
San Jose State 4, Santa Clara 3
1) Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. No. 26-Katie Le (SCU) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(7-1)
2) Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
3) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Chau Truong (SJSU) 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
4) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Erica Medlin (SJSU) 7-5, 6-4
5) Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6) Jessica Willett (SJSU) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 7-6, 6-4
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Erica Medlin/Sabastiani Leon Chao (SJSU) 8-3
2) Chau Truong/Klaudia Boczova (SJSU) def. Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 8-5
3) Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Jessica Willett/Julianna Bacelar (SJSU) 8-6
Check back into SantaClaraBroncos.com daily for this weekend's results and all your women's tennis news.