SANTA CLARA, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team came up victorious at home with a 4-0 win over a shorthanded Cal Poly team. The Broncos now focus on two matches this weekend against University of the Pacific and the West Coast Conference opener at San Francisco.
"I am really proud of the team's win over Cal Poly," said Bronco head coach Ben Cabell. "Even though the Mustangs were shorthanded with only five players, it didn't affect our mindset coming into the match. It's a first time win against Cal Poly for myself as a head coach and for this Santa Clara squad. We have been happy about our play so far this season, and this result is a good indication moving forward."
Cal Poly walked into the Degerhi Tennis Center with only five players, therefore giving the Broncos one automatic singles point and one doubles win by default because of the incomplete lineup.
With one doubles match already decided, Santa Clara solidified the doubles point with two more wins. The senior partnership of Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge battled to hold on to their second doubles win of the dual season to defeat Alexa Lee and Kathryn Webb by a score of 7-6(6). In addition, Katie Le and Jessica Agra put away Jen Cornea and Ane McPike, 8-2, to capture the doubles point.
In singles competition, sophomore Stephanie Skaras swept her Mustang opponent Anna Klavins without dropping a game, 6-0, 6-0. Nationally ranked Bronco, No. 25 Katie Le, also defeated her competitor Jen Corena at the No. 1 singles position. Le finished off the match by a score of 6-3, 6-1 to improve her singles dual record to 4-2.
Next weekend, the Broncos host University of the Pacific on March 2 at 11 a.m. and then travel to San Francisco to take on Bay Area rival USF on March 3 at 12 p.m.
Santa Clara 4, Cal Poly 0
1) #25 Katie Le (SCU) def. Jen Cornea (CP) 6-3, 6-1
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) vs. Alexa Lee (CP) 5-7, Unfinished
3) Chelby Cooke (SCU) vs. Kathryn Webb (CP) 6-3, 3-1, Unfinished
4) Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) vs. Ane McPike (CP) 6-3, 0-2, Unfinished
5) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Anna Klavins (CP) 6-0, 6-0
6) Never Scheduled (Incomplete Lineup) SCU by default
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Jen Cornea/Ane McPike (CP) 8-2
2) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Alexa Lee/Kathryn Webb (CP) 7-6(6)
3) Never Scheduled (Incomplete Lineup) SCU by default