SANTA CLARA, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis posted its first 7-0 win of the 2013 regular dual season Saturday vs. University of the Pacific. The Broncos travel to San Francisco, Calif. for their first West Coast Conference match against Bay Area Rival San Francisco on Sun., March 3 at 12:00 p.m.
Without dropping a singles or doubles match and with all but one singles match being won in two sets, Santa Clara improves its regular season record to 4-4 going into WCC competition Sunday.
In doubles play, all three Bronco duos came out victorious over their Pacific opponents. Katie Le and Jessica Agra defeated Regina Suarez and Iveta Masarova by a score of 8-4. In a long battle, senior partners Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge pulled through in a tiebreaker to take the match 8-7(5). The last doubles match was decided by Broncos Stephanie Skaras and Delphine Rouvillios. To capture the doubles point, they topped Gergana Boncheva and Susan Te of the Tigers, 8-2.
On the singles side, No. 30 Le defeated Iveta Masarova in two quick sets, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 1 position for the Broncos. Both newcomers, Chelby Cooke and Delphine Rouvillious, added wins to their records. Cooke topped Susan Te of the Tigers by a score of 6-4, 6-3. In addition, Rouvillios bested Gergana Boncheva, 6-0, 6-2.
Sophomore Skaras had the only Bronco match that went into three sets. She battled long into the third set to come up on victorious by a match score of 6-4, 4-6, 10-7.
Pacific now moves to 5-5 on the dual season, and Santa Clara now turns its focus to its first WCC competition, USF, on Sun., March 3 in Golden Gate Park.
The Dons, who are 5-2 in the 2013 regular season, recently topped Cal Poly on Sat., Feb. 23 by a score of 6-1. The Dons dropped the doubles point for the third consecutive match but stormed back to take all six singles matches, including four three-set affairs. Other notable wins this season for San Francisco were over UC Santa Barbara, 5-2, and UC Davis, 4-3. The Dons two losses are from San Jose State who defeated them 5-2 and from Fresno State by a score of 6-1. The match against Santa Clara will be the first WCC test for both of the teams.
Santa Clara 7, Pacific 0
1) #30 Katie Le (SCU) def. Iveta Masarova (UP) 6-1, 6-2
2) Kelly Lamble (SCU) def. Hana Ritterova (UP) 7-5, 6-2
3) Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Susan Te (UP) 6-4, 6-3
4) Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) def. Gergana Boncheva (UP) 6-0, 6-2
5) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Christiana Ferrari (UP) 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
6) Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Regina Suarez (UP) 7-6(4), 7-5
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Regina Suarez/Iveta Masarova (UP) 8-4
2) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Hana Ritterova/Christiana Ferrari 8-7(5)
3) Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) def. Gergana Boncheva/Susan Te (UP) 8-2
Check back into SantaClaraBroncos.com daily for updates on all your women's tennis news.