Women's Tennis Tops BYU, 5-2; Moves to 2-0 in the WCC
SANTA CLARA, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team improved to 2-0 in the West Coast Conference with a 5-2 win over Brigham Young University at the Degheri Tennis Center. Santa Clara continues WCC competition on March 28 at No. 75 Loyola Marymount University and March 30 at Pepperdine.
The Broncos (6-5; 2-0 WCC) started off the day strong capturing the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 2 spots. Partners Katie Le and Jessica Agra topped Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran of the Cougars by a score of 8-6. On the next court, senior duo Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge dominated to take the match, 8-3, over Mackenna Maddox and Morgan Anderson. The third doubles match went to BYU. Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran defeated the Broncos' Stephanie Skaras and Delphine Rouvillios in a tiebreaker to take the match 8-7(5).
On the singles side, No. 32 Le turned her two-match losing streak around and defeated Desiree Tran of BYU by a two-set score of 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 1 position for the Broncos. Le's singles record improves to 6-4 in the dual season.
Three more singles matches favored the Santa Clara Broncos. At the No. 3 spot, Alex Zaniewski tallied her first singles win of the 2013 dual season with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Morgan Anderson of the Cougars. Freshman Chelby Cooke extends her winning streak to four with a two-set victory over Nicolette Tran, 6-2, 6-2. Cooke improves her dual singles record to 7-2 on the season. In addition, newcomer Delphine Rouvillios topped Mackenna Maddox by a score of 6-1, 6-2 at the fifth spot for the Broncos.
Santa Clara 5, BYU 2
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon/Nicolette Tran (BYU) 8-6
2) Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) def. Mackenna Maddox/Morgan Anderson (BYU) 8-3
3) Aubrey Paul/Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) 8-7(5)
1) #32 Katie Le (SCU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
2) Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
3) Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
4) Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
5) Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) 7-6(5), 6-3