SANTA CLARA, Calif.—At a neutral location at the Matador Tennis Complex in Northridge, Calif., the Santa Clara women's tennis team battled No. 20 Rice University to a 4-1 verdict in the Owls favor on Sun., March 31. The Broncos return to the Bay Area this week in preparation for No. 14 Stanford on Wed., April 3.
Playing for points, the Broncos could not upset No. 20 Rice, coming up short on the doubles side and only capturing one singles victory.
Partners Katie Le and Jessica Agra were first off the courts when the No. 17 ranked duo Dominique Harmath and Natalie Beazant topped them 8-5. At the No. 2 doubles position, Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge could not hold on to their early lead and fell to Daniela Trigo and Solo Zinko, 8-6. With those two matches ending in Rice victories, the No. 3 doubles match ended unfinished.
The lone singles point was tallied by sophomore Stephanie Skaras at the No. 6 court for the Broncos. Skaras 6-1, 6-2 victory over Stephanie Nguyen of the Owls was the Australian native's third straight singles win and has only dropped one set in those three matches.
McGeorge played in her first singles match since March 2 and fell to opponent Solo Zinko by a score of 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 5 spot. No. 28 Le was also bested by No. 62 Natalie Beazant, 6-0, 6-3, giving Rice a 3-1 lead overall. The match was clinched when Lamble was unable to send it into a third set and No. 72 Dominique Harmath topped her, 6-1, 6-4.
After a three-match road trip this past week, Santa Clara moves to 7-7 on the 2013 dual season and 3-1 in West Coast Conference competition. The Broncos face No. 14 Stanford at 5:00 p.m. on Wed., April 3 in Palo Alto, Calif.
Rice 4, Santa Clara 1
1) #62 Natalie Beazant (Rice) def. #28 Katie Le (SCU) 6-0, 6-3
2) #72 Dominique Harmath (Rice) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-1, 6-4
3) Katie Gater (Rice) vs. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 6-2, 3-6, 2-2 (Unfinished)
4) Kim Anicete (Rice) vs. Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) 2-6, 6-1, 4-3 (Unfinished)
5) Solo Zinko (Rice) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
6) Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Stephanie Nguyen (Rice) 6-1, 6-2
1) #17 Dominique Harmath/Natalie Beazant (Rice) def. Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) 8-5
2) Daniela Trigo/Solo Zinko (Rice) def. Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 8-6
3) Stephanie Nguyen/Katie Gater (Rice) vs. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) 8-8 (Unfinished)