SANTA CLARA, Calif.—The Santa Clara women's tennis team's four-match winning streak was snapped by No. 70 Oregon today by a score of 5-2 as the Broncos wrap up regular season play for 2013. The Broncos end the season at the top of the WCC standings, a first under head coach Ben Cabell and the program's first title in school history. The Broncos now turn their attention to the WCC Championships which begin on Wed., April 24 in San Diego, Calif.
The Broncos now stand at a three-way tie for first in the WCC standings with Saint Mary's and Pepperdine. The brackets and times for the WCC Championships will be released Monday, April 22 and matches will begin on Wednesday, April 24.
Against No. 70 Oregon, Santa Clara dropped the doubles point to the Ducks, picking up one of the three doubles matches. Partners Katie Le and Jessica Agra tallied the lone doubles victory for the Broncos on Court 1. They topped No. 64 Patricia Skowronski and Nicole Long by a score of 8-4. The other two Santa Clara duos fell to their Oregon opponents by scores of 8-5.
On the singles side, two freshmen came away with victories for the Broncos on the No. 4 and 5 courts. Chelby Cooke out-hustled Sofia Hager of the Ducks after dropping the first set, 4-6. Cooke swept the second set, 6-0, and Hager retired in the third after trailing Cooke, 5-4. Delphine Rouvillois also found success in three sets over her opponent Pascale Neubert on Court 5. Rouvillois dropped the first set, 4-6, but took the second 6-1. The match was decided in a third-set tiebreaker, ending in Rouvillois favor by a tiebreak score of 10-8.
Both Cooke and Rouvillois won all three of their singles matches this weekend.
No. 28 Le fell to the Duck's Nicole Long at the No. 1 position in singles. Long jumped ahead taking the first set, 6-1. Le battled in the second but was unable to top Long, 7-5.
#70 Oregon 5, #58 Santa Clara 2
1) Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) def. #64 Patricia Skowronski/Nicole Long (UO) 8-4
3) Sofia Hager/Brooke Hughes (UO) def. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillios 8-5
1) Nicole Long (UO) def. #28 Katie Le (SCU) 6-1, 7-5
2) Patricia Skowronski (UO) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 7-5, 6-4
3) Julia Metzger (UO) def. Alexandra Zaniewski (SCU) 6-3, 7-6(8)
4) Chelby Cooke (SCU) def. Sofia Hager (UO) 4-6, 6-0, 5-4, ret.
5) Delphine Rouvillios (SCU) def. Pascale Neubert (UO) 4-6, 6-1, (10-8)
6) Lana Buttner (UO) def. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) 6-4, 6-2