Posted: Aug 22, 2019
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's soccer travels to Sacramento State for an exhibition match on Sunday in the final tune up for the Aug. 30 regular season opener.
In the exhibition opener on Wednesday, the Broncos lost to UC Davis 3-2 at home nearly overcoming an early three-goal deficit. Javier Ruiz Duran and Presten Manthey scored late in the first half to cut the Aggies lead to one but neither team scored in the second half.
Sunday's opponent Sacramento State and the Broncos last played in the exhibition opener a year ago playing to a 2-2 draw at Stevens Stadium. The match was a physical affair with a total of 34 fouls committed by the two teams along with 10 cards that were issued.
Santa Clara head coach Cam Rast begins his 18th year at the helm to lead a squad that returns 23 players including three All-West Coast Conference honorees from a team that finished 5-10-2.
Nineteen of the returners saw action last season with 13 of them appearing in double digit matches to account for 80 percent of its goals and all of its assists.
Junior Javier Ruiz Duran led the team in goals (six) and assists (five) to earn All-WCC Second Team recognition along with senior Miles Robinson who scored four and assisted on three. Sophomore Eduardo Lopez Perez tallied a pair of goals and was named to the WCC All-Freshman team.
Redshirt junior Henning Jolivet brings the most experience between the woodwork playing in seven matches last season to finish with a 3-3-1 record and a 1.89 goals against average.
Broncos Team Information
• Twenty-three players return.
• Nineteen players with playing experience return including 13 who played 10 or more games last season.
• Broncos welcome five newcomers – four freshmen plus one graduate student (Hendrik Kuehn) from Germany.
• Only one scorer lost to graduation: Andres Jimenez (5).
• Returning goal scorers (2018 stats): Javier Ruiz Duran (6), Miles Robinson (4), Alan Camacho Soto (3), Eduardo Lopez Perez (2), Julian Bravo (1), Alex Achramowicz (1), Sakari Carter (1)
• Returning goalkeepers (2018 stats): Henning Jolivet (7 GP, 3-3-1, 1.89 GAA, .641 save percentage), Aran O'Brien (Redshirt).
• Graduate School: 1 (Hendrik Kuehn)
• Juniors: 8 (Alex Achramowicz, Isaac Addai, Javier Ruiz Duran, Matt Golbranson (RS), Henning Jolivet (RS), Nate Shue (RS), Terrell Smith, Alan Camacho Soto)
• Sophomores: 9 (Martin Aasen, Alejandro Barajas (RS), Julian Bravo, Sakari Carter, Emil Christensen, Aran O'Brien (RS), Alejandro Perez, Eduardo Lopez Perez, Tennyson Stevens (RS))
• Freshmen: 7 (Liam Anderson, RJ Egdorf (RS), Presten Manthey (RS), Connor McCabe, Guillem Badenes Mecho, Damani Osei, Bishop Washington)
Across the Globe
• The Bronco roster fields a squad composed of player hometowns from eight states and five countries.
o States: California, Colorado, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington
o Countries: Canada, Denmark, Germany, Norway, Spain, United States
From the Exhibition Opener vs UC Davis
• The Broncos played a total of 21 players.
• Goalkeepers Henning Jolivet and Guillem Mecho split time, each playing half the game with Jolivet getting the starting nod.
• Alejandro Barajas started and played the most minutes with 80.
Starting his 31st year with the program, head coach Michael Linenberger leads the Hornets squad thats coming off a 4-11-2 (2-5-0) campaign in 2018. They return seven starters including forward Benji Kikanovic who led the team in goals (five) and assists (four) last season and welcome 16 newcomers.
Sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Curtis returns after starting in 10 games posting a 4-6 record with a 1.72 goals against average.
Connect with the Broncos on Social Media