SANTA CLARA, Calif. - After a perfect weekend at last weekend's Gary Troyer Tournament, Santa Clara men's water polo will play twice at home this week, beginning with Wednesday's matchup against top-ranked Stanford.
The Broncos and Cardinal (11-1) will face off at 4 p.m. in the first game of the season at Sullivan Aquatic Center.
Santa Clara (8-4) comes in having won seven of its last eight, including all four at the Gary Troyer Tournament. The Broncos knocked off La Verne, one of the three host schools, and Occidental on Saturday. One day earlier, they defeated Cal Lutheran and Wagner.
The Cardinal have won six in a row, with their lone loss of the season coming at the hands of UC Santa Barbara on Sept. 20.
• After playing their first 12 games away from home, the Broncos have 10 of their final 13 regular season contests in Sullivan Aquatic Center.
• Ryan Werner, Patrick Kirk, Dominick Kirk, Shane Hughes and Mac Carey have started all 12 games. Sean Tehaney has started seven games and Chase Zamborelli five in net.
• Werner and Hughes are the team's leading scorers with 23 goals apiece. Werner posted a career-high four goals in each of the last three games. Carey is third in goals with 22.
• Carey has a team-best 30 assists, with at least one in each game of the season. He posted a career-high seven against Ottawa Univ.-Arizona on Sept. 21. Hughes is second on the team in assists.
• Bahia ranks first on the team with 21 kickouts drawn.
• Werner had a team-high 13 goals and Carey was second with 11 in last weekend's Gary Troyer Tournament.
Single-game tickets are available for $8. Click here to purchase online or contact the ticket office weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. at (408) 554-4660 or BroncoTickets@scu.edu. Sullivan Aquatic Center, as well as its ticket office, is open one hour prior to the start of each game.
The construction of the Stephen C. and Patricia A. Schott Athletic Excellence Center has necessitated the closure of the main entrance (off Accolti Way) to the Leavey Center parking lot. Access is now ONLY directly from El Camino Real (Route 82). If you are traveling east on El Camino Real, the Leavey lot entrance will be approximately 150 yards on the right (enter through the black iron gate) after you pass the main campus entrance. If you are traveling west on El Camino, make a u-turn at the main campus entrance at Palm Drive/Railroad Ave and follow the same directions.