SANTA CLARA, Calif. - After playing it first home game of the season on Wednesday, Santa Clara men's water polo is gearing up for its first Western Water Polo Association contest.
The Broncos (8-5), who have won six of their last eight, are set to face Concordia on Saturday at noon in Sullivan Aquatic Center.
The Eagles (5-11, 0-1), winners of three of their last four, lost to UC San Diego on Sept. 11 in their lone WWPA matchup this season.
Santa Clara had its four-game winning streak snapped on Wednesday in an 11-4 home loss to top-ranked Stanford.
Much of the offensive production is produced by the senior class. Shane Hughes has a team-best 24 goals and Mac Carey and Ryan Werner are tied for second with 23. Carey also leads the team in assists (31) and Hughes is second (29).
The Broncos knocked off Concordia, 14-11, last season in Irvine, California.
• After playing their first 12 games away from home, the Broncos have 10 of their final 13 regular season contests in Sullivan Aquatic Center.
• Ryan Werner, Patrick Kirk, Dominick Kirk, Shane Hughes and Mac Carey have started all 13 games.
• Hughes is the team's leading scorer with 24 goals. Carey and Werner are tied for second with 23.
• Carey has a team-high 31 assists, including at least one assist in each game of the season. He posted a career-high seven against Ottawa Univ.- Arizona on Sept. 21.
• Bahia ranks first on the team with 22 kickouts drawn. Carey is second with 16.
• Werner had a team-high 13 goals and Carey was second with 11 in last weekend's Gary Troyer Tournament. Werner earned WWPA Player of the Week for his performance in the four games. Werner posted a career-high tying four goals in each of the last three contests.
The Broncos will welcome back many of their former players for Grand Reunion Weekend. The program will hold its Alumni game on Saturday at 2 p.m. Admission is free.
Single-game tickets are available for $8. Click here to purchase online or contact the ticket office weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. at (408) 554-4660 or BroncoTickets@scu.edu. Sullivan Aquatic Center, as well as its ticket office, is open one hour prior to the start of each game. Alumni are being offered special pricing (with presentation of Grand Reunion Lanyard) at $5 per ticket. The offer is only available at the Sullivan Aquatic Center ticket table.
For weekday games, the Leavey Center lot (see below for access), located on Accolti Way off El Camino Real, is free beginning one hour prior to the start time. Any other parking facility on campus will be subject to normal daily rates or restrictions, including the main structure, located on Palm Drive. During the weekend, campus parking facilities are free (except for permit required locations). Click here for a campus map and parking restrictions.
The construction of the Stephen C. and Patricia A. Schott Athletic Excellence Center has necessitated the closure of the main entrance (off Accolti Way) to the Leavey Center parking lot. Access is now ONLY directly from El Camino Real (Route 82). If you are traveling east on El Camino Real, the Leavey lot entrance will be approximately 150 yards on the right (enter through the black iron gate) after you pass the main campus entrance. If you are traveling west on El Camino, make a u-turn at the main campus entrance at Palm Drive/Railroad Ave and follow the same directions.