SANTA CLARA, Calif. – A pair of double-doubles helped lead Santa Clara women's basketball past San Jose State 89-81 Tuesday afternoon in Leavey Center.
The Broncos (2-1) got off to a quick start and never trailed, having a lead for all but 15 seconds when the game was tied, while holding off several strong pushes from the Spartans (1-2) starting in the second quarter.
The biggest catalysts for Santa Clara were Ashlyn Herlihy and Lauren Yearwood who both picked up their first double-doubles of the year. Herlihy scored 22 with a career-high 18 rebounds and Yearwood set career-highs with 19 points and 13 board. The two combined to shoot 17-29 from the field and even went 3-for-7 from downtown.
San Jose State would get within one point two times with the first coming on a 3-pointer in the final second of the first half by Raziya Potter that made it a 43-42 game after a 9-2 run.
Later in the third, after the Broncos had gotten the lead back up to as high as 53-46, Megan Anderson drilled a triple that made the score 55-54 but Santa Clara responded with the next nine.
Ayzhiana Basallo, who scored a game-high 29, did her best to get the Spartans back in it in the fourth quarter and scored 11 in the period, but the lead would never get to less than four.
Tyra Whitehead added 21 points for San Jose State and had a double-double with 11 rebounds as well. No other Spartan got to double-figures with Potter and Anderson each scoring nine.
A 10-0 Santa Clara run late in the first quarter turned a close game into a 24-11 Broncos lead. Herlihy knocked down a triple and a layup during the run with Lana Hollingsworth also connecting from deep.
Tia Hay scored 13 with six assists and Lindsey VanAllen added 10 points on a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
- Santa Clara is now 30-25 all-time against San Jose State.
- Herlihy reached a double-double with her rebound at the 8:53 mark in the second quarter.
- Santa Clara shot 44.8-percent from the field with San Jose State shooting 39.0-percent.
- With her three blocks, Lauren Yearwood now has 85 in her career, good for fourth in Santa Clara history.
- The last time the Broncos had two players with a double-double in the same game was a 104-61 win over Menlo in Leavey Center Dec. 10, 2017. Taylor Berry (13 points/11 rebounds) and Ashlyn Herlihy (25 points/ 14 rebounds) accomplished the feat.
- The last time it happened against a DI opponent was a 69-58 win at UC Santa Barbara Nov. 30, 2016. Marie Bertholdt (16 points/12 rebounds) and Morgan McGwire (12 points/11 rebounds) accomplished the feat.
The Broncos begin a four-game road trip at UC Davis Saturday at noon.
Connect with the Broncos on Social Media
Athletics: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Snapchat
Women's Basketball: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram